The first thing I want to look at1 is look at what glyphs we’re picking up, what ones we’re losing, and which ones we’re picking up.
Since WoWHead is especially confused on a lot of these, I’m not going to include links in this post, because otherwise you might find yourself looking at the Glyph of Arcane Power with a tooltip of Glyph of Cone of Cold. Blizz appears to be re-tasking all of the Prime glyph slots for new uses, which makes me wonder what sort of bugs we might encounter down the road. Something to follow up on.
In this discussion, as in those to follow, the master worksheet for all this is on Google Docs. If you have to ask what something means, don’t look at it – this isn’t a tutorial on my spreadsheet peccadillos.
|Fingers of Frost||Sea|
|Ritual of Refreshment||Ethereal|
|the Bear Cub||Midnight|
- Glyph of Fingers of Frost probably goes a ways to compensate us for the loss of the damage component of Deep Freeze.
- Glyph of the Penguin and Glyph of the Monkey were removed to remove the “the”, no doubt to help with sorting, but then they added “of the Bear Cub”. I suspect that’ll get renamed for consistency.
- Speaking of which, the Bear Cub ink is not yet official – best guess is Midnight.
|Arcane Barrage||Former Prime|
|Arcane Missiles||Former Prime|
|Living Bomb||Former Prime|
|Mage Armor||Former Prime|
|Molten Armor||Former Prime|
- Most of there were former Prime glyphs, but not all.
- A lot of minor and major glyphs – new or old – show Prime glyph tool tips still. In many cases the effects don’t even make sense. I’m guessing they have a lot of work to do still.
|Arcane Blast||Ethereal||Ethereal||Former Prime|
|Cone of Cold||Sea||Jadefire||Former Prime|
|Deep Freeze||Ethereal||Celestial||Former Prime|
- Some of these were former Prime glyphs that were deemed valuable enough to retain, even if the type of glyph was changed.
- Many of these have different effects than before – in some cases, far different.
- While some changed ink type (no doubt to reflect the level changes for some of these), there was no significant drift towards more of one tier over another, and no new inks at all.
It’s obvious from the tooltips and the profession UI that serious work on integrating the new glyphs into the game has not really taken off yet.
- Because that’s about all I can right now, given that crafting isn’t up and running yet. [↩]